The Garage just wasn’t appropriate for that space in Delano. I’m happy to see Jennifer claim that [somewhat terrifying] location for business. I believe this location can work for the right bar! And, of course, it has awesome parking.
In case you haven’t seen them yet, you probably will soon. Here’s a photo for your viewing pleasure (a special thank you to my friend Omar for providing this pic):
A simple, two color t-shirt bearing the Old Town logo (without permission) and a really naughty word. I have heard about the explosive popularity of these shirts, and the explosive bar owner responses.
I know this is the perfect opportunity for Midwest mentalities and virtues to flare, but let me ask you something — when was the last time you saw someone wearing a shirt about Wichita? Athletic shirts don’t count.
I know there’s a legal battle lying around town somewhere, but there are a few really important underlying lessons here that I want to point out:
1) It’s entrepreneurially important that a young person thought this was a big enough social issue to personally create a t-shirt design and invest in the printing of them. This happens in every other city but Wichita for some reason. Hello, young Wichita creatives, where have you been hiding? I’m glad you found an outlet that works for you and people like you.
2) Many people like this shirt, and its humor is in the right place. Those of us that are wearing these shirts enjoy the Old Town scene just as much as you do. Probably more. We also hate shootings just as much as you do. Probably more. These shirts are a conversation topic, spurring questions and activism about a safer downtown right were that message hits home: people like me, in their mid-20s. The exact crowd that hangs in Old Town three or four nights a week.
3) Hometown pride is happening. No matter how sick-headed it may seem. …Whether you like the medium of this t-shirt or not. I understand that this isn’t the idea that downtown developers and business owners were thinking of when it came to promoting Old Town. But hey, it’s kind of funny, and don’t hate young people for being more creative than you. And expressive. And expletive.
4) No matter how much you hate these shirts, watch what you say. Your bar regulars are listening. Don’t be surprised if we stop showing up.
Signed by Yours Truly,
Anonymous Twenty-Something Bar Patron With Just Another Stupid Shirt
It’s about time Union Station is revived!
Let’s face it. Wichita is in need of some new bars. I’m so tired of our bar scene, I’ve stopped going out almost entirely.
I’m really happy to hear that Pacific Coast Pizza is looking at a spot near Intrust Bank Arena. Their Wipeout pizza with thai sweet chili sauce is uh-maze-ing, and I feel a downtown location would serve them well. A late night pizza joint is in dire need in Wichita, and their east side location is now open to 12 AM daily. Last time I was there at 9 PM on a weeknight, I was a bit worried with how dead it was. They could use a downtown bar district to boost their biz for sure.
I’ve been missing late night eats since And the Weiner Is… closed a few months ago. It was the perfect way to end the night. Ummm… the maccaroni and cheese dog or the pepper dog, anyone? And the funny guy in your group ordering the peanut butter and jelly dog? Endless good times.
Driving to distant late-hour Mexican burrito joints is extremely dangerous. Get real — most kids do this after they’ve been at the bars all night. Having a few close proximity late-night diners or restaurants would be a fun boost to business downtown, and help cut down on drunk driving to the closest McDonald’s.
Whether it’s Mort’s Monday, Thirsty Thursday, Black-out Punch Saturday, or Sunday Funday, Wichita’s young adults know how to drink, and they love to do so in groups.
If you can keep my friends safe and feed us for a reasonable price at an ungodly hour, we will love you forever.
There’s nothing better than patio seating on a nice day in Wichita!
Restaurants, retail, waltzing water, river, sculptures. Another center of culture to be developed in Wichita. Cannot wait to see this come to life! A successful river district is a MUST for us!
This morning on twitter I read an interesting new mob trend that sparks my intrigue. A brilliant small business-supporting idea, ENTER: CASH MOB. Hundreds infiltrate an area on one day to create an economic boost for shops of local business owners. What an excellent idea! Click on the following links below for additional information:
For Kansas.com article from Carrie Rengers:
For Cash Mob Wichita facebook group:
Small Business Alternatives
A List of Small Businesses in the Wichita area that can be used as alternatives to big box & chain stores & restaurants:
(This is just a preliminary list of locally - or presumably locally - owned businesses. We’ll get a more comprehensive & categorized system in place when we’ve been doing this for longer than less than 24 hours! :) )
- Poorman Auto Supply http://www.poormanautosupply.com/
- Efficiency Exteriors (happyhomeowners.net)
- Hupp Hardware http://ww3.truevalue.com/hupphardware/
- Hephner TV http://www.hephnertv.com/
- Tom Sawyer Bicycle Shop http://tomsawyerbicycleshop.com/
- Bluebird Arthouse http://www.bluebirdarthouseks.com/
- Notes N’ Noises http://notesandnoises.com/
- Food for Thought http://www.foodforthoughtwichita.com/
- The Anchor http://www.anchorwichita.com/
- Holy Land Mediterranean Grill
- Twist Yarn Shop http://www.twistyarnshop.com/
- Picasso’s Pizza
- Knolla’s Pizza http://knollaspizza.com/
- Monica’s Bundt Cake http://monicasbundtcake.com/
- Cero’s Candy http://www.ceroscandy.com/
- Bicycle Xchange http://www.bicyclex-change.com/
- Heartland Bicycle http://www.heartlandbike.com/
- Midwest Drum and Percussion http://midwestdrum.com/
- E.M. Shorts http://www.wichitaband.com/guitar.html
- Phil Uhlik Music http://www.philuhlikmusic.com/
- Le Monde Cafe & Deli http://lemondecafeanddeli.com/
- Harry’s Uptown Bar & Grill
- Sit at Thai http://www.sitatthaibistro.com/
- Thai Tradition http://www.thaitradition.net/
- Hana Cafe
- Lucinda’s http://lucindasoldtown.com/
- Luca Italian Kitchen http://lucawichita.com/
- Il Primo
- Hannah Banana http://www.360wichita.com/ClothingApparel/ChildrensClothing/HannahBanana
- Ray Party Rental http://www.rayspartyrental.com/
- National Pro Shop http://www.nationalproshop.com/
- Karma Konnections http://www.mykarmakonnections.com/
- Weiss Barber Supply http://barbersupplywichita.com/
- Watermark Books & Cafe http://www.watermarkbooks.com/
- Traditions Furniture http://traditionsfurniture.com/
- Susan’s Floral http://www.susansfloral.com/
- Aspen Boutique http://www.aspen-traders.com/
- Bucci & Bubba
- Planet Hair http://planethairusa.com/
- Diva Furniture http://divafurnitureimports.com/
- Lawrence Photo http://lawrencephoto.net/
- Pink Saloon http://www.pinksaloon.com/
- Mead’s Corner http://www.meadscorner.com/
- Rockstar Boxer http://www.rockstarboxer.com/
- Bella Luz http://bellaluzgifts.com/
- Fizz Burgers & Bottles http://www.fizzburgers.com/
- The Flying Pig http://www.dani-creations.com/
- Foggy Bottom http://www.foggybottomdresses.com/
- Eighth Day Books http://www.eighthdaybooks.com/
- College Hill Deli & Catering http://www.collegehilldeli.com/
- Mary Sebastian Photography http://marysebastianphotography.zenfolio.com/
- Linda Gregory Photography http://www.lindagregory.com/
- Meridian Construction http://meridiankansas.com/
- Excel Custom Woodworking
- Midnight Ryder Technologies http://www.midnightryder.com/
- Dave Neal and Associates REALTORS http://www.daveneal.com/
- Caprock Custom Software http://www.caprockcs.com/
- Bear Clan Studios
- Black Raven Comics http://www.blackravencomics.com/
- Black Galley Productions
- International Automation Group
- Plumb Crazy http://www.plumbcrazykansas.com/
- The Date Maven http://www.thedatemaven.com/
- Wichita Local Business
- Bubba’s Nekked BBQ
- Trendy Tots Resale Shop http://www.trendytotsresaleshop.com/
- From Me 2 You Resale http://www.facebook.com/pages/FROM-ME-2-YOU-RESALE/103476358262
- Wichita Video Works http://www.wichitavideoworks.com/
- Darrin Hackney Photography http://darrinhackney.com/#
- Action Tents and Party Rental http://www.actiontentparty.com/
- Northstar Comfort Services http://northstarcomfort.com/
- First Gear
- Blackberry Lane Cookie Company
- SPECS Eyewear http://www.specseyewear.com/
- Buy the Book Used Bookstore
- GoRun http://gorunwichita.com/
- Pixel Time http://www.pixeltime.com
- Pure Salon & Spa http://pure-salonandspa.com/
- Beadazled http://www.beadazzledinkansas.com/
- Central Plains Novelty http://centralplainsnovelty.com/
- Beyond Napa
- Bungalow 26 http://www.bungalow26.com/
- 412 Art Center http://www.412artcenter.com/
- Beau Monde Spa http://www.lovebeaumonde.com/
- Three Pea http://www.threepea.com/
- JR Koontz Flowers http://www.jrlifestyle.net/
- Westside Flowers by DeOrsey
- Sweets by Steph http://www.sweetsbysteph.com
- Perfect Party Pix Photo Booth http://www.perfectpartypix.com
- Retail Therapy www.facebook.com/retailtherapyllc
- Mires Tool Company http://www.mirestool.com/
- Around the House Cleaning http://www.aroundthehousecleaning.net
- Al’s Bait and Tackle
- Twist http://www.twistyarnshop.com/
- Odd Balls Yarn Shop http://www.oddballsyarnshop.com/
- Paint the Towne http://paint.welchwebdesign.com
- Book-a-Holic http://www.shopbookaholic.com/
- Nifty Nut House http://www.niftynuthouse.com
- Best of Times http://www.bestoftimesgifts.com/
- Bella Luna Cafe http://bellalunacafe.com/
- Cafe Maurice
- Fresh Spa Market http://www.freshspawichita.com/
- Junk in the Trunk Clothing http://www.junkinthetrunkclothing.net/
- Frugal Finds http://www.frugalfindsboutique.com/
- Kerry Burrow (Photographer) http://www.kerryburrow.com/
- Sarah Shah Portraits www.sarahshahportraits.com
- Beards Floral Design http://beardsfloral.com
- Unruh Photography http://www.unruhphotography.com
- Fashion Bar
- Lady Grace
- Second Story
- Parrot-fa-Nalia/Parrot-fa-Nalia Party Place http://www.parrot-fa-nalia.com/
- Shawna Taylor Photography http://www.shawnataylorphotography.com/
- Tanya’s Soup Kitchen
- Old Mill Tasty Shop
- Hana Cafe
- The Tire Store http://www.thetirestoreinc.com/
- Flying Donuts
- The Seafood Shop
- Yoder Meats
- The Spice Merchant http://www.spicemerchant.com/
- Ziggy’s Pizza http://ziggyswichita.com
- Fresh Roast Coffee Company www.freshroastcoffeecompany.com/
- Java Villa, The Beacon
- MIF Deli & Catering
- Adrian’s Cafe www.adrianscafe.com/
- Piccadilly http://www.piccadillyusa.com/
- Sport’s Burger
- N & J Middle Eastern Cuisine http://www.njcafebakery.com/\
- Wichita Brewing Co. & Pizzeria http://www.wichitabrew.com/
- Hero Complex https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hero-Complex-Games-and-Entertainment/147406635324060
- Lucky’s Everyday
- The Alibi Room
- The Shamrock
- Artichoke SandwichBar http://www.artichokesandwichbar.com
- Fieldhouse http://www.fieldhousewk.com/
- Whiskey Dick’s
- The Port of Wichita
- Kelly’s Irish Pub
- Mort’s Cigar Bar http://www.mortswichita.com/
- Walt’s Great American Sports Bar & Grill http://www.waltsbarandgrill.com/
- Sugar Sisters http://sugarsistersbakery.com/
- Vision Care 4 Life http://www.visioncare4life.com/
- Jensen Design, Inc. http://www.jensendesign.net
- The Chalet
- TJ’s Burger House
- Computer Works http://www.cwfree.com/
- Prairie Healing Center
- TNT Pet Services http://tntpetservices.com/
- Lotus Leaf Cafe
- Body and Soul Therapeutic Massage http://www.bodyandsoulmassageschool.com/
- Twisted Lens Photography https://www.facebook.com/TwistedLensPhotography
- Wichita Fish Company http://wichitafishcompany.com/
- Gupton’s http://www.guptonspetshop.com
- The Riverside Diner
- The Donut Whole
- Bionic Burger
- Fat Earnie’s
- D’s Dairy Freeze
- Midwest Sewing and Vacuum
- Mike’s Wine Dive http://mikeswinedive.com/
- Twice Is Nice
- 2 Kids Resale Shop
- Frugal Finds Plus Size
- New For You Kids Resale
- Sweet Repeats
- Urban Renewal
- 2nd 2 None Consignment
- Another Lady’s Treasure
- Trends Teen Resale
- Deidre Caswell Photography http://www.facebook.com/DeidreCaswellPhotography
- Athena Jewelry
- Scott Rice Office Interiors
- City Blue Print
- Siva Yoga
- Firefly Yoga Studio http://www.fireflyyoga.com
- Perfect Touch Salon
- Swetp Away Massage
- JK Design
- Hat Man Jacks
- All Things BBQ
- Delano BBQ
- Accent Bridal
- Care to Dance
- GP’s Photography
- Delano Antiques
- Wholesale Neon
- Dunning & Dunning CPA
- Treasure Chest Thrift Shop
- Devon Luggage
- Sharpe Printing
- Professional Image Center
- Beyond Beads
- Cameo Cakes
- Foggy Botton
- Baysingers Police Supply
- Malone Auctinoeers
- Full Moon Signs
- Bikers Edge
- Central Forms & Printing
- The Slope
- 2nd Blessing Thrift Shop
- Deli Bocco
- Ann’s Fashions
- At Home With Style
- Kansas Lighting
- Stems Floral
- Roo Grayson
- Red Nest Interiors
- Yoder Meats
- ACI Design Studio
- Abode Venue
- Andrew Decorating Center
- Bob Schwan Studios
- Carolyn Sayre’s Fine Jewelry
- Dean’s Designs
- Douglas Photographic Imaging
- Ferguson-Phillips Hardware
- Il Vicino Wood Oven Pizza
- Superior Rubber Stamp
- The Spice Merchant
Donlinger & Sons Construction has lowest bid for new Wichita aiport terminal
“The terminal is the marquee component of a $160 million project to bring Wichita’s 1950s-era airport into the 21st century.”
The comment “1950’s-era” is an understatement of how severely hideous and discourteous our airport is to all that pass through it. After waiting in this airport for approximately six hours last week, I have realized that it is such an awful way to greet all that fly into our beautiful city. We have some work to do there, and seeing photos of what Hunt Construction Group has done for airports in Detroit and Phoenix gives me hope that we may one day provide a pleasant traveling experience at Wichita Mid-Continent Airport.
NOW LET’S MAKE THIS REALITY.
Just imagine how great this would be in the summer time! I love the idea of people walking Douglas like they used to. All we need are a few outdoor cafes and we’ll come closer to that big city feel.
Contrary to popular, vocalized opinion, I can’t help but be entranced every time I drive through the Kansas prairie. A part of my heart lives in the Flint Hills, and reading this article made me feel proud to call Kansas home. During the busiest days, I like to keep in the back of my mind that there is always a special place waiting to be explored out there. People that choose to experience the Kansas wilderness, and do so frequently, are very happy people.
Thank you to Beccy Tanner for writing this excellent story.
Dear Wichita friends,
Every one of us have our little wants and needs, or fleeting thoughts of “Wouldn’t it be nice if”s, and I want to know:
What business do you think Wichita is missing?
What needs do you feel are not being addressed in the area? Do you think a business should exist somewhere and it doesn’t?
Please share it with me, and let’s consider for a second — who can make this happen? Can you or someone you know? If this information was given to the right person — what would they do with it?
The entrepreneur in me is dying to find out. Please share your thoughts below, or e-mail them to me at email@example.com.
I look forward to hearing more from you about your expectations — no matter how elaborate or seemingly impossible they are!
I’ve had enough. Most of us have. I’ve seen my favorite businesses open then close, not even a year later. I’ve seen my parents’ family business struggle. I’ve seen creative new concepts in dire need of customer nourishment. I’ve driven the streets and come to find something surprisingly new and brilliant, unappreciated by most people I know would love it. I want to see more of these brilliant finds, and I want all the creative and supportive people in this town to know that they are not alone in their efforts.
Every movement needs a start - an initiative - and though I’ve seen our city’s developers doing a great job of visioning a bright, beautiful future, I have a bigger question: when will Wichitans really care about this town? Why do we not really care what happens here? Why do we travel everywhere else to spend our money, to go shopping, to experience unusual restaurants, and to see the sights?
I believe it has the potential. I see it every day, and I hear many people around me talk about how excited they are about all the changes.
Here’s the problem: I haven’t seen very many.
Is it just me? I don’t think so. I’m asking my friends, and soon-to-be-friends, to please show this town the support it needs:
The compliments everyone should hear during their development phase to enlighten their confidences. The lift-up that shows that you really care about this place. The weekly visit to your local favorite restaurant. The thank you letter that tells the business you really like their new sign and mural.
Thank them for being around, and ask others to do the same.
Ask business owners to create more attractive store fronts. Help pick weeds. Create art for vacant store windows to draw attention. Tell a local business you’ll show them how to do a twitter account. Hand out flyers. Visit public events. Go to galleries. Open a gallery. Open ANYTHING! You have thought about it — what are you waiting for?
There are many EXTREMELY talented young people in this town. You already have a few ideas, so what are you waiting for?! It is time to teach this town how to APPRECIATE WICHITA!